Hazards in the Home

//Hazards in the Home
Hazards in the Home 2017-07-10T13:40:57+00:00

Hazards in the Home

The following household items have the potential to cause serious illness, or even death, depending upon the amount ingested by your cat or dog. Store these items in a safe location out of your pet’s reach.
  • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory
  • Lighter fluid medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.)
  • Mothballs
  • Acetaminophen
  • Anti-cancer drugs
  • Cold and flu medications
  • Solvents (paint thinners, etc.)
  • Antidepressants
  • Flea and tick products
  • Vitamins
  • Drain cleaners
  • Home insect products
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Rat and mouse bait
  • Slug and snail bait
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner sprays
  • Diet pills
  • Lime/scale remover
  • Disinfectants
  • Fly bait
  • Fabric softener
  • Detergents
  • Lead
  • Tobacco products
The following plants have the potential to cause serious illness, or even death, depending upon the amount ingested by your cat or dog. Keep these plants out of your pet’s reach.

  • Aloe
  • Amaryllis
  • Andromeda Japonica
  • Asian Lily
  • Asparagus fern
  • Australian Nut
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Befladonna
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Bittersweet (American and European)
  • Black Locust
  • Branching Ivy
  • Buckeye
  • Buddhist Pine
  • Caladium
  • Calla Lily
  • Castor Bean
  • Ceriman
  • Clematis
  • Cordatum
  • Corn Plant
  • Cyads
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Daylily
  • Devil’s Ivy
  • Dieftenbachia
  • Dumbcane
  • Easter Lily
  • Elephant Ear
  • Emerald Fern
  • English lvy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Ferns
  • Fiddle-leaf Philodendron
  • Gold Dust Dracaena
  • Florida Beauty
  • Foxglove
  • Glacier lvy
  • Gladiolus
  • Golden Pothos
  • Heavenly bamboo
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hurricane Plant
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Iris
  • Jerusalem Cherry
  • Jimson Weed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lantana
  • Lilies (all lilium species)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Lupine
  • Marble Queen
  • Morning Glory
  • Mother in Law
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Narcissus
  • Needlepoint Ivy
  • Nephthysis
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Panda
  • Peace Lily
  • Philodendron
  • Poison Hemlock
  • Precatory Bean (rosary
  • Privet
  • Red Emerald
  • Rhododendron
  • Ribbon Plant
  • Sago Palm
  • Satin Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Striped Dracaena
  • Sweetheart Ivy
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock
  • Wisteria
  • Yew
  • Yucca
Be sure to store these foods in places that your dog or cat can’t get to them. Under NO circumstances should you allow your pet to eat any of the following foods.

  • Avocados
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Chocolate
  • Moldy/spoiled foods
  • Coffee (all forms)
  • Salt
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Fatty foods
  • Garlic
  • Xylitol (gum, candies, etc.)
  • Grape
  • Tea leaves
  • Raisins
  • Raw yeast dough
  • Macadamia nuts
The following list of common household items can cause puncture wounds, choking or internal organ damage to your pet. Never leave these objects lying around where your pet can get access to them.

  • Balls
  • Batteries
  • Twist ties
  • Buttons
  • Coins
  • Cotton swabs

 

  • Glass
  • Hair pins
  • Jewelry
  • Nylons
  • Paper clips
  • Socks
  • Rubber bands
  • Plastic wrap
  • Sharp objects (knives, razors, nails, needles)
  • String/yarn/dental floss
  • Towels
  • Wax

Here are some areas inside and outside your home that can cause or lead to serious problems for your dog or cat.

  • Balconies – Tall balconies without safety railings may lead to a dangerous fall.
  • Bath tubs or sinks – When filled with water, a bath tub or a sink can allow a small pet to drown.
  • Doors and windows – Open doors and windows commonly lead to dogs and cats running across busy roads.
  • Electrical cords – Can cause electrocution if plugged into an outlet and chewed on by your pet.
  • Fireplace – Flames can result in serious burns to your pet, and ashes can cause illness if ingested.
  • Toilets – Toilet water is not healthy for pets to drink; always remember to close the lid.
  • Washer and Dryer – Your dog or cat can easily crawl into a washer or dryer, so be sure to close the doors to these appliances when you are not using them.
  • Algae – Found in ponds or other bodies of water; certain forms can be toxic.
  • Antifreeze/Coolant – Contain Ethylene Glycol or other chemicals that may cause serious illness.
  • Fire pit/Grill – Flames can result in serious burns, and ashes can cause illness if ingested.
  • Fences or Gates – Openings in damaged fences or gates can allow your cat or dog to run away, or could lead to strangulation if your pet becomes stuck.
  • Deck lattice – Your dog or cat could become stuck in the openings under your deck and possibly strangle.
  • De-icing salts – Some formulations may contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts. Look for “pet friendly” salts.
  • Compost (particularly it moldy)
  • Oil
  • Pesticides
  • Cocoa bean shell mulch
  • Fertilizer
  • Swimming pools and hot tubs – never leave your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can swim.

Holidays are special times during the year when families and friends come together in celebration.  Unfortunately, many pet owners fail to recognize the potential dangers that these occasions can pose. Below are some holiday hazards that could potentially cause serious harm to your pet.

Valentines Day

  • Many types of flowers and plants that are found in the bouquets are harmful to dogs and cats.

Easter

  • The colorful “Easter grass” may look appetizing to your pet, but actually poses a choking and intestinal obstruction hazard if ingested.lf swallowed, small toys and plastic Easter eggs can cause your pet to choke or damage their intestinal tract.

4th of July

  • Fireworks not only scare pets and cause them to run off, but they can also cause serious injuries if detonated near your dog or cat. Many fireworks formulations can be potentially toxic to pets if ingested.

Halloween

  • Pranks – Some pets, specifically black cats, have become victims of torture and abuse during Halloween, so be sure to keep your pet indoors.
  • Candles – Pets are naturally curious and may be attracted to the bright lights of the flame in dark areas. Dogs and cats could either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.
  • Xylitol – Candy or gum sweetened with xylitol is toxic and should be kept away from your pet.
  • Chocolate – All forms of chocolate can be harmful to your pet, potentially resulting in poisoning or even pancreatic inflammation from the high fat content.

Thanksgiving

  • Bones – Turkey, chicken and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.
  • Hot containers – Your dog or cat will most likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over, causing severe burns.

Christmas

  • Holiday Plants – Christmas rose, Holly, Lilies and Mistletoe are toxic to cats and dogs.
  • Ribbons – Sure it may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet’s neck may cause them to choke.
  • Bubbling lights – Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.
  • Fire salts – Contain chemicals that could be harmful to pets.
  • Angel Hair (spun glass) – Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinaobstruction if eaten in large amounts.
  • Christmas tree water – Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested.
  • Decoration hooks – Can cause blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.
  • Styrofoam – Can cause your dog or cat to choke if swallowed.
  • Ornaments – These can look like toys to your cat or dog, so keep them out of your pet’s reach so they don’t pose a risk for iniury.
  • Tinsel – Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.

New Years

  • Balloons and Confetti – These are among the common items used to decorate a New Year’s party venue, but can pose an obstruction or choking hazard to your pet if ingested. Be sure to keep an eye on your pet when they are around these items or secure your pet in an area that does not have decorations.
  • Loud Noises – New Year’s is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pet in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music and other loud sounds that may startle them.
  • Alcohol – Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should NEVER be given to your dog or cat.